Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Day 8

Alright kids, I need your help. And not just from all two of you who actually post comments on this beast - I need ALL of your help. Especially the fellas. Here's the situation:

Mr. Naperville? AKA Mr. Emoticon-hehe-creapy-awful-grammar-guy? He keeps IMing me. We're talking alllllll the live-long day with the hey-there's and the when-you're-around-and-have-some-time-let's-chat-some-more's and the blah-blah-winking-face's. Not interested, Mr. Naperville. But how do I tell him that? I thought that just ignoring him/immediately stopping whatever I'm doing on the computer as soon as he IMs me so that it looks like I've just stepped away from the computer the second he IMd me would do the trick (it worked on me SEVERAL times in college...waaa waaa) but he will NOT. GIVE. IN. I've now had 2 people tell me to just tell him I met someone else who I think I have a future with, but that could not be further from the truth. I mean, sure, I've met a man I can joust with and a man with more tattoos than words in his vocabulary, but...come on. I feel bad lying, but the truth (which is, for the record, that he is an IDIOT and/or a 14 year-old girl posing as a 28 year-old dude) is way harsh. So how do I do this? How do I cyber-reject someone?

Any and all feedback, even from you randos that are reading this blog because my college friends are forcing you, would be much appreciated.

Okay, good talk. See you guys out there.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

dear ms. riley.

as you know, i am probably the last person to give you male advice. i wanted a one night stand and ended up with six months and a marriage proposal. i still havent figured out how to get rid of that one. and i'm seeing someone else, who doesn't know about the army man....ah you don't want my advice.

but here it is:
1) say that you're really busy with work and don't have time to chat. if he is any where near bright, he should get the hint. right?

2) or, the other, which i've only used once, is to say that you're taking a vow of celibacy and joining a convent. he won't believe you, but he'll know that you don't want to talk anymore.

love you.
el.

Anonymous said...

Just ignore him. He'll stop.

(and I'm am one of those friends of your college friends who reads)

Sarah said...

God bless my college friends. Welcome to the tragedy, friend-of-my-friend.

Sarah L Mirick said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah L Mirick said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

This is a tricky situation you have going on here. The key is in understanding the opposition. Your beau obviously has LOTS of time on his hands and he most likely has a fat long list of names he pesters throughout the day. I picture a man in sweats, sitting in his room, his mother calling him down to the table for lunch, and he's usually cloaked in an old afghan that his "Grammy" made him. Lets face it...this is a man that DOES NOT GET IT. Letting him down easy, ignoring his smiley's, or a rational explanation is not going to get through. I think you're only choice is a sharp toned warning. If that fails go right to Net and ask some people how to send a virus.

Sarah said...

Mandy's Coworker - Excellent advice. I like you. You may now use a real name if you'd like.

Anonymous said...

Send him your blog...that might do the trick